Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DIY Dry Erase Boards

I really wanted a set of dry erase boards for my class to use on their laps while we are sitting on the floor near my teaching easel.  The more that they can be writing while I am writing, can save time and attention spans when it came to practicing a writing skill.  The only problem was that I wasn't thrilled at the price it would cost.  While out shopping the other day it hit me...I could just make them!

All I needed was some sturdy cardboard (I cut apart a tri-fold presentation board)


My initial thought was to use page protectors, but I didn't have any on hand.  So I used laminating sheets that I already had.  They were already 5x7 so I didn't need to cut them at all after running them through the machine.  Since the cardboard I was using was already white I ran them through the machine empty, but if the cardboard you're using is brown just laminate a piece of plain computer paper.

My laminator is still one of my favorite things I bought as a teacher!


Scissors and duct tape.

 Just place the plastic sheet over the cardboard and tape around the edges.  Simple as that and you're done.  I was able to get 20 done in just over an hour sitting and watching TV.   I love how cute they turned out and they are easy to write on/wipe clean. Plus between the presentation board and two rolls of duct tape it cost just over 50 cents each.  They are going to be perfect in my class!


8 comments:

  1. Another cheap option is getting white bathroom panels. They cost $13 or so at Home Depot, and if you have them cut them into 9x12 (which they are happy to do for you) you can get almost 30 out of a sheet. A little duct tape border and you're good to go! Also around $0.50 each and mine have lasted 4 years so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. you could also use red and blue lined paper for older kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the writing paper!!

      Delete
    2. white on one side and writing paper on the other :)

      Delete
  3. Love this idea! It would work great with my special education students. Thank you for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele- so which one did you end up using? - the thick project board, or some cardstock? And wouldn't that thick project/presentation be too thick to send through a laminator? Great idea, but I was just wondering about the thick board or cardstock. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! Definitely linking this post on my blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG... I am not even joking.. I did this a month ago with my dry erase boards with the SAME EXACT TAPE! I did it with sheet protectors though. So I could slide new papers in and out. That is so strange! I am not joking with you either... LOL... I can send pix!!! So funny. Great minds think alike!

    Jennifer
    Simply Kinder

    ReplyDelete